Find a sponsor for H1B visa

In applications for H-1B visas, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires immigrant-applicants to look for an American company that would sponsor them.

So, in this article, we look at how you can get the needed sponsor for your H-1B visa so that you, as an immigrant, can legally live and work in the United States.

Check out our former article for detailed info on what an H-1B Visa is, how you can qualify and other necessary details.

Overview of H-1B Visa Sponsorship

Determining the ideal H-1B sponsor can at first seem daunting and confusing to foreigners due to questions such as, whether it is better to apply for sponsorship with large or small companies.

This is in light of the fact that while some small businesses in the US sponsor H-1B visas, identifying or connecting with those companies can be particularly difficult – in contradiction to larger companies that publicize their sponsorship of visas for prospective employees.

Below are some of the ways of securing the needed sponsorship for H-1B visas.

Attend a university or college in the United States.

Many foreigners choose to undertake their undergraduate or master’s degree in US universities. This allows such student to legitimately enter the United States, adapt to its culture, and also help them find work after graduation.

American uni students have a chance of applying for and getting internship offers during the course of their education, which can stretch into offers for permanent employment at such a company. Companies can especially offer permanent job positions and sponsorship of H-1B visas to individuals whose work and skills they have experienced themselves.

In the same vein, non-citizen US University students with F-1 visas who are privileged to work and study through the Optional Practical Training program may get offers after the duration of the OPT lapses, for the sponsorship of their H-1B Visa petition.

Going through our H-1B sponsor database

Finding a company that sponsors H-1B visas can be made easier by searching through the H-1B sponsor database that’s present on our website. The list of jobs offered by big and small companies, that willingly sponsor and hire employees from outside the US, can be found and accessed on this website easily.

You can filter the results by location, job type, profession, amongst other metrics, to make your search task a much easier one.

As you collate the list of jobs and companies that align with your interests, the inclusion of factors such as location, company size, typical job opening, salary and number of H-1B petitions sponsored in previous years, can greatly help you in streamlining and separating the wheat from the chaff.

Refine your Resume or CV and apply for open jobs

Usually, the key to successful job application lies within the ambit of pitching your best foot forward by demonstrating your distinctive credentials to potential employers. Seeking a sponsor for an H-1B visa isn’t any different.

Make sure your resume includes the most important details about your education and career. Write a short, appealing, and unique cover letters that stand you out from other candidates.

Companies that support H-1B candidates every year are usually only willing to do that when it comes to certain positions, so ensure to read job listings on sites like LinkedIn very well, before going on a wild goose chase. If the details are fuzzy, you can as well send inquiry emails to such a company.

Try to put in for as many jobs as you possibly can. Limit searches based on expertise level, location, and other factors. The more CVs you submit, the greater your chance to interview.

The Takeaway

Finding an advocate for your H1-B can be tricky and daunting. But with this simplistic guide and your persistence, you sure would clinch a sponsor very soon.

No Tags
  • February 8th, 2020
  • 2

2 thoughts on “Find a sponsor for H1B visa”

  1. I worked in USA from 98-2007 on H1B visa and from 2000 as a permanent employee of an American Organization. My Greencard applied by my employer (who has branches only in USA) got approved for I140 stage in 2008.
    I came to India for some personal work that got extended till 2012.I worked in consulting positions in India since then.
    Since 2012 I have been trying to find a H1B sponser from India, however I am unable to find one. Large employers in India only hire freshers and those with 1 or 2 years experience and have them work on their payroll for 5-6 yrs before they sponser them on H1B. I have not been able to secure interviews with bug employers from USA as I am in India, in different timezone, rarely a connect happens between the employers in USA and me. Even though I am authorized to work in USA as per EVERIFY, employers prefer those who have a Greencard or H1B.
    I do not have much funds to go to USA and do MS etc. All my funds were invested in USA by means of my work in USA for 8+ yrs and they were invested in house, car, 401k, 403b, social security etc which are all inaccessible from India.
    How to get a H1B sponser while I am in India and work in USA again

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *