If you have read our other articles on the green card lottery and want to apply, then here is a simple guide to filling out your application. It should only take about 15 minutes, so if you want to be a US resident go ahead and apply. It is free and may be worth the effort.
- The only way to apply is via the online application on the US Department of State website found here https://var/www/fastuser/data/www/h1b.io.dvlottery.state.gov/ . You cannot download the application and email it, so it must be completed online in real time. (there are instructions available in several languages, in addition to English.)
- There is no fee to apply, and any website offering to submit your application for a fee is not necessary. You don’t need a visa “agent” to complete your entry.
- You can apply even if you are already in the US, and if you have a different type of visa. If you win the lottery, your immigration will be changed by USCIS.
- The registration period has already begun and you have until November 7th to apply, but don’t wait until the last week since there may be heavier use of the website and delays.
- The application must be filled out completely, or it will be disqualified.
- You must complete the application in one session, and you a have a 60-minute time limit, so best to be prepared with all of your responses.
- When you complete the application, you will be given a confirmation number that you will use in May 2017 to check your entry status. Don’t let anyone keep this number for you, and don’t lose it.
- Don’t submit any documents such as ID copies or birth certificates. The entire application is online, including the digital photo you submit.
- If you are selected, your spouse (and children under the age of 21) can accompany you, but must be listed in the application by name and age.
- If you are selected, you have until September 30, 2018 to apply for a green card, but don’t wait since the DOS usually selects more entrants than the 50,000 available green cards. If selected, apply right away to secure your residency.
Information You Will Need for the Online Application
The following information will be required on the form, so it will be easier if you have already gathered it together to make your online responses. Remember, you only have 60 minutes to complete the online form.
- Name (as it appears in your passport), gender and birthdate
- City and country where you were born
- Country of eligibility (if different)
- Digital photograph taken within the past six months (if you have familymembers, a separate photo for each) (if you applied in previous years, you must submit a different photo)
- Current mailing address and (optional)phone number
- Country where you currently live today
- Email address that you will maintain until the selection date in May
- Educational level
- Marital Status, number of children under 21, ages, countries of birth (even if they will not accompany you to the US)
The Department of State website has more detailed instructions in PDF format, a Frequently Asked Questions section, and even an instructional video. With all of these resources available to submit the free application, there is no reason not to enter the green card lottery for 2018 permanent resident status in the US.
If you have questions about entering the green card lottery, or working in the US with an H1B visa please contact us at any time.
- October 6th, 2016
5 thoughts on “Guide to Filling Out Your 2018 Green Card Lottery Application”
My wife is having tourist visa but mine is finished in 2016 so are we eligable for the same .i mean can we apple for green card lottery system..from INDIA
need job i have done b.tech and m also fill these type of form alot but didnt get any job and all…now lets see what will happen
I don’t have any visa can I apply for green card if no .then tell me what should I do for working and living in America. Please help me and give me right direction
i wan to join and wish give me right direction
BG sayedmonawar sadat